Illinois attorneys must report CLE compliance, non-compliance or exemptions at the end of their two-year reporting period. Attorneys with last names that begin with “A” through “M” must report by mail or online by the June 30, 2012, deadline. This year, Illinois attorneys are required to complete 30 hours of CLE for this reporting period.
The fees for reporting compliance are as follows:
- There is no fee for timely reporting of compliance.
- If attorneys report non-compliance before the deadline, there is a fee of $100. They then have until September 30,2012, to complete the required CLE and report to the MCLE Board.
- If attorneys fail to report on time, there is a fee of $150. They then have until September 30 to complete the required CLE and report to the MCLE Board.
- If attorneys report inaccurate certification and are audited by the MCLE Board, they are subject to a fee of $250.
- If attorneys do not complete their required CLE during the allotted grace period (by September 30) and are removed from the Master Roll of Attorneys, they are subject to a reinstatement fee of $250.
As a reminder, attorneys are not required to send their certificates of completion or other proof of CLE activities to the MCLE Board unless they have been notified that they are being audited. Attorneys must keep these documents for three years from the end of their reporting period. Real Estate Institute also keeps these documents on file for our students.