Today, NMLS sent approved course providers these tips for you to get through the season successfully:
- Review Your Course Completion Record. The redesigned course completion record provides a complete history of every course completed by an MLO since 2009. The record also tracks federal and state PE/CE compliance for every license that an MLO is approved for: a green checkmark next to a license type means the MLO is PE/CE compliant; a yellow caution symbol means education is required. If an MLO does not have a requirement for CE in a given year, the record will say “No Federal CE Requirements” or “No State CE Requirements.” (And if there is no requirement, the MLO does not need to take a course for that year for that license). Directions for how to view the record are available at the NMLS Resource Center.
- Remember the Successive Year Rule: MLOs are prohibited by the SAFE Act from taking the same CE course in successive years (two years in a row). If the same course is taken two years in a row, the course may appear on the course completion record with zero credit hours applied, and the MLO will have to complete another CE course.
- PE Does Not Count as CE: If an MLO has a CE requirement but completes a PE course instead, NMLS will not count the course as meeting the annual CE requirement and the MLO will be prevented from filing for renewal.
- Make Use of the State-Specific PE/CE Education Charts: The most current State Specific PE/CE Education Charts are dated October 1, 2013. Each state agency has a chart which includes information on PE and CE requirements, any specific or unique information about the agency, and each agency’s annual CE deadline. This year’s documents also include information on the Uniform CE Policy and Q&A’s about the new course completion record.
- Credit Bank on Time: One of most frequently call/e-mail topics of the renewal period is from MLOs inquiring about missing course credit. Courses appear on the MLO’s record immediately following the successful completion of the credit-banking process (there is no delay). Here are the main reasons why a course will not appear on the record:
- The provider is banking a large number of MLOs and an individual was missed.
- The credit-banking process was initiated but not finished (usually because the fees were not paid and the roster expired).
- The MLO did not have or did not provide a correct NMLS ID number.
- The course provider did not report within seven calendar days of the course end date.
NMLS-approved CE is offered by Real Estate Institute. The successive year rule is not a concern. All of our courses are new for the 2013 CE season. Fast credit banking is a top priority. Our students are reported within seven days of their course completion (usually the next business day). Click here for information about CE courses.
As a reminder, NMLS initiated SMART deadlines. The CE deadlines for 2013 are as follow:
SMART Deadline: Friday, December 20
At-Risk-to-Miss Renewal Deadline: Friday, December 27
Guaranteed to Miss Renewal Deadline: Tuesday, December 31
*Note: Some agencies may have an earlier deadline.